The Essentials we believe:
- ABOUT GOD: God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The three are co-equal and are one God.
- ABOUT JESUS CHRIST: Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.
- ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT: The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with the power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer a spiritual gift when they are saved. As Christians we seek to live under His control daily.
- ABOUT THE BIBLE: The Bible is God’s Word to us. Human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit, wrote it. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because God inspires it, it is the truth without any mixture of error.
- ABOUT HUMAN BEINGS: People are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. People are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although every person has tremendous potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude that separates people from God and causes many problems in life. It is called sin.
- ABOUT SALVATION: Salvation is God’s free gift to us but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness, can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. When we turn from our self-ruled life and turn to Jesus in faith, we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
- ABOUT ETERNAL SECURITY: Because God gives us eternal life through Jesus Christ; the true believer is secure in that salvation for eternity. If you have been genuinely saved, you cannot “lose” it. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives us the security.
- ABOUT ETERNITY: People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and hell are real places of eternal existence.
Beliefs are not worth much unless they are translated into actions. Based on what the Bible teaches, we adhere to the following seven practices:
1. THE BIBLE AS OUR SOLE AUTHORITY: Since God’s word is the only completely reliable and truthful authority, we accept the Bible as our manual for living. Our first question when faced with a decision is “What does the Bible say?” We practice daily Bible reading, Bible study, and Bible memorization. The Bible is the basis for all we believe.
2. AUTONOMY OF EACH LOCAL CHURCH: Christ is the recognized head of our church, not any person, group, or religious organization. While recognizing the value of associating or cooperating with other groups of Christians, we believe every local church should be self-governing and independent from any denominational control. Mt. Spokane Church Ministries is a member of the Greater Spokane Association of Evangelicals. This is an area wide fellowship of over 400 churches who work in cooperative effort to reach our community for Jesus Christ.
3. PRIESTHOOD (MINISTRY) OF EVERY BELIEVER: The Bible teaches that every Christian is called to “full time” Christian service, regardless of his or her vocation. We practice the truth that every believer is a minister by encouraging every member to find a place of service and ministry. Every believer has direct access to God through prayer and Bible reading.
4. TITHING OR PROPORTIONATE GIVING: We practice tithing or proportionate giving for the support of Christ’s Body, the church, as God commands. We recognize that giving 10% of our income is the minimum biblical standard of giving.
5. IMMERSION: We practice baptism by immersion under water – the way Jesus was baptized, and the way the Bible commands. Baptism is a believer’s public identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We believe Jesus was baptized to identify with us as sinners, and that we are baptized to identify with Christ as the Savior.
6. SPIRIT-LED LIVING: We believe the only way possible to live the Christian life is by God’s power within us. So we seek to practice a daily dependence on God’s Holy Spirit to enable us to do what is right.
7. TELLING OTHERS ABOUT CHRIST: It is the responsibility of every Christian to share the Good News with those whom God has brought us into contact. We practice personal sharing about Christ and inviting friends to church.